Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
Policy: Camp Lau-Ren is committed to excellence in serving campers, staff and volunteers including people with disabilities.
Assistive devices: Camp Lau-Ren will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by our campers, staff and volunteers with disabilities while accessing our camp and services.
Communication: Camp Lau-Ren will communicate with campers, staff and volunteers with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
Service animals: Camp Lau-Ren welcomes campers, staff and volunteers with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed in the same areas of the camp as the person with the disability: e.g., if the person with the disability is a camper, the service animal would be allowed in the Dining Hall, Craft Hall, Camper Cabin, Camper Washrooms and outside areas.
Support persons: A camper, staff or volunteer with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises. A fee in the amount of $100.00 will be charged to the support person for a regular 6-day camp time period or a daily rate of $17.00.
We will notify campers, staff, and volunteers of this fee by including such information in the staff manual and on the camp website.
Notice of temporary disruption: In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for use by campers, staff and volunteers with a disability, Camp Lau-Ren will notify such persons promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
Training for staff: Camp Lau-Ren will provide training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on our behalf.
Individuals in the following positions will be trained:
- Board Members
- Summer Staff
- Volunteer Directors, Leaders & Counsellors
- Paid Counsellors
The training will be provided to staff:
- At the Director/Leader workshop in March of each year for volunteer Leaders and Directors
- At Training Weekend of each year for volunteer Counsellors
- At Camp set-up week for Summer Staff
- In October of each year for new Board members
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- Camp Lau-Ren’s plan related to the customer service standard
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or support person
- How to use/install the removable ramps available on-site at camp
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Camp Lau-Ren’s goods and services
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to Camp Lau-Ren’s plan.
Feedback Process: Campers, staff and volunteers who wish to provide feedback on the way Camp Lau-Ren provides goods and services to people with disabilities can write or email their feedback. All feedback will be directed to the Camp Co-Ordinators who will then pass on this feedback to the Board of Directors. Customers can expect to hear back from the Co-Ordinators within 5 working days. Complaints will be addressed according to Camp Lau-Ren’s regular complaint management procedures.
Modifications to this and other policies: Any policy of Camp Lau-Ren that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.