Camp Lau-Ren is a not-for-profit Christian camp of the Eastern Ontario Outaouais Regional Council of the United Church of Canada for children between the ages of 6 and 15. It is situated on the shores of the Ottawa River, 10 kilometers west of Deep River, Ontario. In a natural setting, the camp provides programs and services in a faith-based environment that fosters personal and social growth and development. Camp activities include crafts, sports, archery, swimming, canoeing, Bible Study and team building.
The camp is administered by the Lau-Ren Camp Corporation through a Board of Directors and accommodates approximately 450 campers per year in 8 one-week programs. The camp has a high volunteer component, and the weekly programs are planned and organized by volunteers, supported by counsellors and staff (cooks, a caretaker, lifeguards) who are hired for the summer. All the camp programs and operations are overseen by an Executive Director.
Camp Lau-Ren is seeking an Executive Director to oversee camp operations and programming throughout the year. This position is part-time and it is expected to occupy a minimum of 500 hours and a maximum of 700 hours per year, or up to 60 hours per month. The position involves the Executive Director working from their own home, with a cabin being supplied on-site for the summer months. The Executive Director will oversee all aspects of camp and is integral to the success of Camp Lau-Ren’s summer programs. Responsibilities include program planning, operations and personnel management, training, and property maintenance.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Post secondary diploma or degree in a relevant field of study or comparable work experience/knowledge
- Training as per the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, Regulation 170/03 pertaining to operation of a small drinking water system
- Ontario Ministry of Transportation Pleasure Craft Operators Certificate
- Ontario Ministry of Health’s Safe Food Handlers Course
- Managing/operating children’s camps
- As a coordinator of teams, working and communicating with teenagers and young adults
- Working with and planning/delivering programs for children ages 6 – 15 years
- Recruiting, retaining, and supervising both volunteer and paid staff
- Managing effective policies and procedures
- Managing budgets
- Using computers including Microsoft Office Suite.
Skills & Knowledge
- Knowledge of the operation of a children’s camp
- Familiarity with child and adolescent developmental principles
- Knowledge of the United Church of Canada Camping Standards
- Knowledge of the Ontario Camps Association Camping Standards
- Knowledge of the Food Premises and the Recreational Camp Regulations under the Ontario Health Protection and Promotion Act
- Proven leadership ability and skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Effective interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills including conflict resolution skills and presentation skills
- Familiarity with social media platforms and website maintenance
- Demonstrated ability to maintain competency and promote self development by seeking out and participating in on-going learning opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to policies as set out by the Camp Lau-Ren Board of Directors, the Ontario Camps Association, and the United Church of Canada
- Knowledge of CampBrain registration (or equivalent) system
- Criminal Record Check – Vulnerable Sector (required)
- Member of the United Church of Canada (preferred)
A full job description is available on request by emailing email@example.com.
To apply for this position, send a letter of intent and your resume to Camp Lau-Ren Executive Director Recruitment Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submission of applications is September 9, 2022.
We thank all applicants. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Camp Lau-Ren is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and welcomes all interested parties to apply.